According to establishing the Supreme Council for Science, Research and Technology (ATF), the statute of National Research Institute for Science Policy (NRISP) was changed in 2004 and became independent of the Research Deputy of the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology and its missions and scientific groups were defined in line with the needs of the Supreme Council for Science, Research and Technology (ATF) and was decided to act as a think tank in the field of science policy and policy research at national level and also play a role as an over-departmental organization besides the above-mentioned Supreme Council.
As a result, and for taking maximum advantage of the scientific and advisory capacities of National Research Institute for Science Policy in order to support research and scientific affairs of the Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Science, Research and Technology, the above-mentioned Secretariat was moved to National Research Institute for Science Policy (NRISP) in 2009.
The Law of Objectives, Mandates and Organization of the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology was developed according to the Article 99 of the Law of Third Economic, Social and Cultural Development Plan of I.R. Iran with the aim of organizing administrative affairs and policy-making of scientific, research and technology system of the country and approved by the Islamic Consultative Assembly of Iran in 18/8/2004. According to the Article 3 of the above-mentioned Law, the Supreme Council for Science, Research and Technology (ATF) was established under the chairmanship of IR. President with the mission of policymaking and over-departmental monitoring in order to coordinate the entities in the fields of science, technology and research.
The members of the Supreme Council of ATF are:
- President of Iran;
- Minister of Science, Research and Technology;
- Minister of Health, Treatment and Medical Education;
- Minister of Education;
- Two to four of other Cabinet members as selected by the Cabinet;
- Head of the National Organization for Management and Planning;
- Head of Supreme Leader’s delegation in universities with the permission of the Supreme Leader;
- Two members of the Education and Research Committee as selected by the Islamic Consultative Assembly of Iran for monitoring;
- Head of the Central Bank of Iran;
- Heads of National Academies for Science, Medical Sciences, Art, Persian language and literature;
- Heads of three public universities (one member from medical sciences universities) as selected by the central council of the related universities;
- Head of one of the private universities or private higher education institutes.
Also, according to the Article 4 of the mentioned Law, duties and authorities of the Supreme Council were determined as follows:
1- Prioritizing and selecting long-term executive plans for macro investments in the fields of education, research and technology;
2- Investigating and proposing the required financial resources in the fields of science, research and technology.
In addition to the duties of the Supreme Council of ATF mentioned in the Law of Objectives, Mandates and Organization of the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, the Supreme Council of ATF and its Secretariat are tasked with the following duties according to the approvals of the Islamic Consultative Assembly of Iran and the Cabinet:
- Implementing the Law of Supporting Knowledge-based Companies and Commercialization of Innovations and Inventions;
- Implementing the regulations for establishing and developing Special Zones of Science and Technology;
- Monitoring the performance of state research funds including; implementing the first part of paragraph M of the Article 224 of the Fifth Development Plan and the implementation of the law on the annual budget regarding one to three percent of funding (paragraph 116 of the Budget Act of 2014).
Assignments in the management and leadership of the Macro National Projects:
Regarding the local regulation of the Supreme Council and the regulations of its specialized commissions approved in the second meeting of the Supreme Council in 3/5/2007 and also on the basis of the approvals of third meetings in 13&18/10/2007 and 24/5/2014, the structure of the Supreme Council were defined as follows:
- Permanent Commission
- Specialized commissions
- The Secretariat of the Supreme Council
The above-mentioned units are introduced in the continuation:
The Supreme Council of ATF established the Permanent Commission to facilitate its duties according to the Article 5 of the local regulation of the Supreme Council of ATF in implementing Paragraph 1 of the Article 4 on detailed duties of the Supreme Council approved in the second meeting of the Supreme Council of ATF. The duties and authorities of the Permanent Commission are defined in the Article 6 of the above-mentioned regulation as follows:
- Decision making in the cases of detailed duties of the Supreme Council that are referred by the Council;
- Review and comment on the cases referred by the Supreme Council
The members of the Permanent Council are individual or legal entities inserted in the Article 5 of the local regulation of the Supreme Council. According to the mentioned Article, the Minister of Science, Research and Technology is the Head of the Permanent Commission and the Secretary General of the Permanent Commission is the Secretary of the Permanent Commission. The members of the Permanent Commission are selected for four years.
According to the regulation of the Specialized Commissions of the Supreme Council of ATF, the Commission on Compilation and Coordination of Science and Technology Policies was formed in order to integrate and coordinate policies, programs and implementations of the Specialized Commission. So far, 11 Specialized Commissions are formed according to the above-mentioned regulation to provide specialized consultations in the fields related to the Permanent Commission. The specialized commissions are:
2. Transportation & civil
3. Agriculture, Water & Natural Resources
4. Industries, Mines & ICT
5. Defense, National Security & Foreign policy
6. Culture & Civilization
7. Management, Economics & Trading
8. Health, Food Security & Social Welfare
9. Human Sciences, Theology & Art
10. Fundamental sciences
11. Legal & Judicial
The Secretariat of the Supreme Council:
According to the Article 7 of the local regulation of the Supreme Council of ATF, the duties of the Secretariat are:
- To schedule and plan the agenda of the meetings of the Supreme Council and impart the approvals of the Council;
- Decision making and expertize support to the Supreme Council in all of the fields inserted in the detailed duties of the Council;
- Planning for implementation of the approved policies of the Supreme Council by multi- sectoral interactions;
- Tracking and coordinating multi- sectoral coordination, support and monitor the implementation of decisions approved by the Supreme Council;
- Provide administrative, financial and legal services to the Supreme Council, Permanent Commission, Councils and Specialized Secretariats affiliated to the Supreme Council;
- Monitoring and evaluating reports;
- Public information;
- Classification, documentation and preservation of the documents related to the Supreme Council;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Supreme Council